Writing platforms can be found anywhere!

Writing platforms can be found anywhere!
Manifesting depths on mud

THE CHALLENGE


To get a mental kick on myself, to feel where I'm capable of, to overcome some of my fears , I decided to face a challenge.


It's originally found here: http://www.highexistence.com/epic-challenge-30-days-of-fear/


So, for the next 30 days, I must do at least one of the following each day (not all three):


- Something you fear

- Something you’ve been putting off

- Something you’ve never done before.


I will write about the next insane 30 days here at least weekly. And I'm not alone, there's 11 others of us. You can read of other's experience at Dreamspire.fi

sunnuntai 25. elokuuta 2013

Thursday, 1.8. Beginning of my journey + info and preparations (Day 1), Helsinki-Kaunas

What: Hitch-hiking alone from Finland to Italy to see a friend. To Croatia to a music festival. To Amsterdam to a gig.. and something else. When: 1-22.8.2013. Kilometres by hitching: Tallinn-Caserta (3158km): http://goo.gl/maps/tYvCP .
Split-Deringaj (204km): http://goo.gl/maps/mHST0. Billund-Amsterdam (736km): http://goo.gl/maps/Xglav.

Preparations for the journey:

- a backpack, a shoulder bag
- a sleeping bag
- a hammock
- clothes in a plastic bag (to prevent getting wet), also pair of wool socks, gloves, a buff scarf, a towel
- pair of sandals, pair of sneakers
- a raincoat
- a headlamp
- earplugs
- cardboard and crayons for hitching signs
- matches
- a mobile phone, a charger
- bandages, plasters, painkillers
- desinfection liquid, toilet equipment
- a waterbottle
- a camera
- a roadmap of Europe
- Finnish- Russian dictionary
- dried reindeer meat, dried fruits, nuts, coconut oil
- a traveller belt
- sewing equipment
- a spoon and a plate
- a blowable pillow (from wine container)
- a swiss knife 2X
- a compass
- a cotton bag
- readings
- Muse bills collected from the band's gig as a memory of me
- Couchsurfing requests sent to few places
- Tips written up from Hitchwiki.org

Helsinki- Kaunas

Families, especially young children, stared at me with my backpack. The ferry terminal in Helsinki was crowded. I used my Swiss knife to cut cardboard for hitching signs. Children kept on staring at me.
On the ferry, I met Mara, a man between 50-60 years old. He was talkative, easy-going, plays guitar and I could sense the life experience when he talked. He got interested about my music projects and was willing to help and support when I return back from the trip. He offered long-drinks, because he had too many, and played my harmonica. He gave a good start and feeling to the journey I was about to begin. It decreased my excitement. He also gave me a sailor’s bag, just in case if I would have a need for it. I also found out that I had forgot my camera’s battery at home. Damn it, but no can do.

I went in front of the drivers cabin to ask a lift to Riga/Kaunas. I was too late. They had already gone down to the truck level. I went down there to ask, but didn’t get any. However, I got stuck between the trucks, because there was very little space between them and I had lots of stuff with me. They started to start the engines. I started to panic. Such a poor end for me. Finally, I could struggle myself out and return back to upper levels. A slight depression came out. After trying so hard with no result. I also found out that my water bottle had dropped out while struggling out between the trucks. I met Mara again. He was a bit tipsy and offered some more long-drinks to cheer me up.

I was in Tallinn around 2pm. I started to hitch from the harbor and after 30 min, I got a lift from a truck. Driver’s name was Sergei, from Russia. I got so excited that it was hard to get in the truck. He couldn’t speak English, so I had to try to remember some words in Russian. In Latvian border, he got me to another truck to drive me further by using radio phones they have with them in every truck. Second truck driver shouted “Davai, davai!”. And so we continued. He was also Russian and couldn’t speak English. I played some harmonica in the truck :). It rained a while outside and I was relieved because I didn’t have to be there.

He drove me near Panevezys (Lithuania), and by using radio phone, he got me a third lift. He was a young Lithuanian guy and could speak English. He had a laptop and played Michael Jackson. It was a pleasant lift. He offered me a cigarette and it felt like a reward after all I had experienced. He also gave me a lighter and a pack of Russian cigarettes, just because he wanted. He drove me near Kaunas (Lithuania), to a petrol station. I thanked him a lot, and went to seek for a place to put my hammock. I found a bush of young silver birches about 50m from the station on a field, put the hammock and went sleeping. The feeling was amazing! Sleeping outside! I’m the master of myself. I’m not dependent on accommodation. And I was free.

Travelled distance for the day: 557km

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti